Munich Airport

Integrated Report 2022


Commitment to climate protection

Commitment to climate protection

In 2019, as part of the European Green Deal, all 27 EU member states committed to making Europe the first climate-neutral continent by 2050 through a package of policy initiatives. The adopted climate protection target provides for a reduction in emissions of at least 55 percent by 2030 compared with the base year 1990 as a first step. Various strategies and action plans have been developed to this end – including the «Fit for 55» policy package. Munich Airport considers itself well prepared to meet the increased requirements. We implemented many of the legally required measures before they took effect. For example, the «pre-conditioned air systems» required as part of the «Fit for 55» package, which were already installed at parking positions near the terminals in 2016, save more than 20,000 tonnes of CO₂ annually. Around €30 million were invested in this measure.

We want to operate the airport in a carbon-neutral manner from the year 2030. To accomplish this, we are reducing greenhouse gas emissions directly attributable to the company by at least 60 percent using various technical measures. The remaining 40 percent of emissions are to be balanced out by suitable compensation measures, preferably within the region. We are investing €150 million to accomplish this by 2030. FMG has spent €2.5 million on the regional climate protection project «climate forest.» Existing forests in Lower Bavaria and the Upper Palatinate are being optimized on around 2,000 hectares so that the trees can store as much CO₂ as possible. Over the entire project period of initially 30 years, a total of around 90,000 additional tonnes of CO₂ will be stored. Guests of the Airbräu airport brewery can contribute to the «climate forest» by offsetting the carbon footprint of their meals.

MUC Climate Forest Project

Munich Airport has also committed to another ambitious climate action goal as part of the «Net Zero Carbon Initiative»: the reduction of CO₂ emissions that can be influenced by the airport itself to net zero by 2050 at the latest. The idea is to keep emissions from arising in the first place through actions such as switching to renewable energy sources. Since 2021, we have been analyzing various options and measures for implementing the targets of the «Net Zero Carbon Initiative.»

The close cooperation between various companies in the air traffic industry is an essential building block on the path to more sustainable air traffic. The close partnership between Flughafen München GmbH and Deutsche Lufthansa AG also helps to protect the climate: Both partners see continuous investment in new aircraft and in the development of sustainable aviation fuels (SAF) as essential. Following a thorough technical inspection, in summer 2021 the tank farm at the site was already certified for climate-friendly fuels of the future. This means that sustainable aviation fuels can be delivered, stored, and refueled at Munich Airport.

GRI index
Key figures comparison
Business model